Washington Parish, named in honor of the first president of the United States, is one of the state’s eight Florida Parishes, having been formed from a part of St. Tammany Parish in 1819.
The roughly 665 square miles of the parish is filled with rolling hills, dense pine forests, scenic waterways and rural back roads. Flowing between the hills are the beautiful Bogue Chitto and Pearl rivers, which are surrounded by places of dramatic beauty that support a wealth of flora and fauna. Recreational opportunities are plentiful for outdoorsmen, including excellent hunting, fishing and camping.
The town of Franklinton is the permanent parish seat and is home to the Washington Parish Free Fair, the largest free fair in the nation, which is held every October. Rich in blues history, the only city in the parish hosts the annual Bogalusa Blues and Heritage Festival in September. In five short years, the festival has become known as one of the top music festivals in the New Orleans and Gulf Coast region.
Washington Parish stands out in the production of lumber and other wood products, with an enviable record in reforestation of cutover lands, as well as in the scientific manner in which its timber resources have been and are being harvested.
Festivals and attractions
Bogue Chitto State Park
Historic Mile Branch Settlement on the Washington Parish Fair Grounds
D.A. Varnado Store & Museum
Magic City Carnival Association Mardi Gras
Bogalusa 4th of July Celebration
Washington Parish Free Fair